The NPN BJT emitter follower (common collector) circuit can transfer the voltage of a zener diode (with a 0.6V loss) without stealing hardly any of the current that is needed to build up the voltage across the reverse biased (RB) zener diode.
NPN BJT emitter follower provides the base voltage minus approx. 0.6V to a load.
A RB zener diode in series with a forward biased diode provides the zener voltage plus about 0.6V diode forward voltage.
Affiliate link ad. This kit has lots of 2N3904, zener diodes. It also has many other semiconductors, usually not included in kits, that are the focus of past and future videos.
Art of electronics is my favorite book!
- Brief comparator circuit using single supply op amp and voltage dividers – LM358
- Brief look at discovered problems with using LM358 op amp as a single supply comparator
- Brief inverting op amp comparator circuit – LM358
- Brief Schmitt trigger LM358 op amp comparator circuit
- Brief voltage follower using single supply op amp LM358 operational amplifier circuit
- Brief passive buzzer controlled by 555 timer astable multivibrator set by light dependent resistor LDR circuit
- Brief light dependent resistor LDR controlled astable multivibrator mode 555 timer circuit
- Brief active buzzer component introduction
- Brief zener diode component voltage reference and shunt regulator basics
- Brief PNP BJT emitter follower common collector – 2N3906 bipolar junction transistor
Kit that has everything you need to learn basic electronics and Arduino.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.