Table of Contents
Op amps that are wired as a voltage follower output the same voltage that is at their input.
There are many ways to generate a signal voltage that is less than the supply voltage.
However, that signal voltage will probably not be able to power a desired load because pulling current from it will drop the voltage.
An operational amplifier can look at that signal voltage and output that same voltage as the signal. Usually being able to provide a lot more current than most signal voltages.
- Lower inverting input (-) voltage than non inverting input (+) voltage = output voltage goes up
- Higher – input voltage than + input voltage = output voltage goes down
- Connecting the output directly to – (negative feedback) means that the output voltage will move towards the + input V until they are the same voltage.
- The output will provide the current needed to power a load while staying at the + voltage as long as you stay within it’s limits.
The LM358 is a well known single supply op amp.
Assorted integrated circuits (ICs) kit. An Affiliate link ad that supports this channel.
Single supply op amp:
Single supply output voltage can drop all the way to the negative supply voltage.
The negative supply voltage is ground for a single supply power source, and is a negative voltage in relationship to ground for a dual voltage supply.
Single supply integrated circuits tend to have an output that falls at least a volt short of the positive supply.
Always consult the datasheet for the part number of the integrated circuit you are using. That’s the best way to learn it’s limitations.
To support this site, check out the following links:
- Become a Patron!
- Check out my YouTube videos! https://www.youtube.com/c/Electronzap/videos
- Products I used in my videos or otherwise think look like a good buy. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. https://www.amazon.com/shop/electronzapdotcom
- Information on this site is not guaranteed to be accurate. Always consult the manufacturer info/datasheet of parts you use. Research the proper safety precautions for everything you do.
- Electronzap is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.