Using a steady voltage to charge a capacitor through a resistance, and also discharging a capacitor through a resistance, involves the RC time constant.
- Capacitor charge and discharge through LEDs circuit
- Capacitor creates AC through polarity indicator LEDs circuit
- Capacitor voltage ramp
Basic RC time constant properties
- One time constant ( τ / Greek letter tau) is the capacitance of the capacitor in Farads, times the resistance in ohms. τ = RC
- It takes 5 time constants to go from fully discharged to fully charged (about 99.99%).Also 5 time constants to go from fully charged to fully discharged.
- Voltage changes very rapidly during the first time constant about 2/3 or 66% of the voltage change. and each following time constant has a much lower voltage change then the previous one. Each time constant changes about 2/3 or 66% of the remaining voltage.
RC time constant curve diagram
Schematic diagrams used in video
Amazon product search tool!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.