This page (newly created and soon to be updated) will be a long list of components used in electronic circuits.
I will mostly order them in the order I think it is best to learn about them, but of course it is best to start with whatever interests you most, or is required in circuits that you are interested in.
For purposes of this page, a component is considered being anything that is used as part of an electronic circuit.
General circuit parts:
- Power Source
Basic passive components
Passive components generally respond in a straightforward way to the voltage across them and the current through them.
- Resistor – Current through resistor is determined by the voltage across it. Resistor component
- Diode and LED – Current flows easily while forward biased (FB) and blocks current while reverse biased (RB). LED lights up during FB conduction. Diode and LED components
- Capacitor – Voltage and stored charge is determined by the current put into it.
- RC time constant.
- Voltage ramp.
- Ultra/Super capacitors. Capacitors large enough to store a lot of short term power.
- Inductor – Slows down the rate of change of current.
Basic active components:
Active components generally pass power (voltage/current) to other circuitry determined by a signal given to it.
- Bipolar Junction Transistors (BJTs) Bipolar Junction Transistor (BJT)
- NPN BJT
- PNP BJT
- BJT circuits:
- Current source.
- voltage/Emitter follower.
- Field Effect Transistors (FETs)
- N Channel Enhancement Mode.
- P Channel Enhancement Mode.
- Other types (not as common)
There’s lots of integrated circuits out there. The ones that I list below will just be a small sampling of commonly known ICs. You need to look up the datasheet of the component that you want to use in order to verify that it has the electrical properties you want and can handle the power (voltage and current) that you need.
- 555 timer including NE555 and µA555:
- LM555 and LMC555
- Op amp: Op amp comparator circuits – Inverting and non inverting
- Comparators: Comparator
- Logic gates (Buffer, NOT, AND, NAND, OR, NOR, XOR, XNOR). Common versions of 7400 (74xx00) series ICs are 74HCxx High Speed CMOS (HC) and 74LSxx Low Power Schottky (LS).
- 7400 (including 74HC00, 74LS00 ect.): Quad 2 input NAND gate
- 7414 (74xx14): Hex inverter gate with Schmitt trigger input
Used heavily for learning electronics or quickly testing a circuit while being able to quickly modify it. Metal on metal contact is limited.
- Prototype breadboard
- Jumper wires/cables
- Alligator clips
Long term but easily removeable connectors:
- Barrel plug
- Screw terminal
- Banana plug
- Binding post
- Heat shrink (typically wraps other connection types tightly).
Power Source options:
- DC power supply (typically powered by household AC outlet)
- Portable power bank: Not very large battery pack with USB and maybe other DC outlets. Some versions have low wattage AC and/or can jumpstart a vehicle.
- Portable battery station/generator: Larger battery unit that can produce household voltage AC and usually a variety of DC options. Sometimes called a solar generator, because it is usually easy to recharge them with solar panels.
To support this site, check out the following links:
- Become a Patron!
- Check out my YouTube videos! https://www.youtube.com/c/Electronzap/videos
- Products I used in my videos or otherwise think look like a good buy. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. https://www.amazon.com/shop/electronzapdotcom
- Information on this site is not guaranteed to be accurate. Always consult the manufacturer info/datasheet of parts you use. Research the proper safety precautions for everything you do.
- Electronzap is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.