The AND gate is a digital logic circuit fragment where the output is low unless all inputs are high. With all inputs high, the output will be high.
This page will be demonstrating the AND gate circuit basics using:
- NPN BJTs:
- SN74HC08N Quad 2 input positive AND gates IC:
Digital (on or off) signals:
- On/High signal will indicate a point in the circuit that is at about 5V.
- Off/Low signal will indicate a point in the circuit that is at about 0V.
Video below: Transistor circuit 7 AND gate switches 2N2222 NPN BJT and SN74HC08N quad 2 input pos AND gates Click here to watch directly on YouTube!
Switch based AND gate:
If single pole-single throw or push-button switches are connected in series, then a series load will only be on if all series switches are in the on position.
Video below: Bare bones AND logic gate using 2N2222 NPN BJTs demo circuit for learning electronics Click here to watch directly on YouTube
Bipolar Junction Transistor BJT based AND gate:
Connecting NPN BJT emitters and collectors in series with a load will only allow the load to be on if there is enough positive voltage/current given to the base of all transistors to cause saturation.
Video below: Bare bones AND logic gate using 2N2222 NPN BJTs demo circuit for learning electronics Click here to watch directly on YouTube!
SN74HC08N IC based AND gate:
Logic gate integrated circuits usually have multiple built in logic gates where you only have to apply a signal to the input pins to control whether the output is high or low. They will probably be susceptible to static shock and only be able to handle low power loads directly, so use care when handling and use a proper transistor controlled by the gate output pin for loads larger than the IC can handle. Consult the component datasheet to find it’s particular parameters.
Video below: SN74HC08N Quad 2 input AND gate integrated circuit IC demonstration Click here to watch directly on YouTube!
- https://www.youtube.com/electronzap please subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Any donations will help me update this site faster and make more YouTube videos! https://www.patreon.com/electronzap
- This website is only intended to provide supplemental information to those already studying electronics. It takes no responsibility for how that information is used and the possible injuries or other damage that may arise.